The construction of well-organized and adequately focused and directed essays for applications to educational institutions should be carefully planned and reasoned. The overall application package represents who the prospective student is. Thus, it is extremely important that he/she present his/her qualities and strong areas in an intelligent manner. The written version of goals, potentials and talents are a very important way for committee members to get to know the candidate and determine his/her fit for the school. Moreover, competition for admission to highly ranked institutions has increased.
Despite the considerable effort that is required to write an original and well-constructed essay, drafts, a good disposition and attention to detail can pay off for a candidate when he/she is offered an interview. A good essay takes time and a bad one can literally end the admissions process. Graduate schools make their decisions greatly based on these written descriptive versions of candidates, so this part of an application must be prepared wisely. Besides personally working towards a good result, it is still strongly advisable that prospects show all drafts to an expert on this issue.
- Identify the elements needed to fulfill requirements in graduate admissions essays.
- Understand the difference in contents and structure between the two types of essays: Personal Statement and Statement of Purpose.
- Identify their own strengths and areas of opportunity among the needed elements.
- Become deeply familiarized with the institutions and programs that they are interested in attending.
- Build relevant and effective drafts of personal essays for applications to educational institutions.
- Learn to revise and edit the drafts according to proposed aiding models.
- Types of essays
- Know yourself
- Know the institution
- Revision, editing, touch-up
- Final Evaluation